It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:45 am

Numberplate Lights 
Stylus owner

Post Numberplate Lights
Has anyone any info on what is acceptable for rear numberplate light(s)? I rather fancy using 5mm dia. ultra bright white LEDs in the little plated bezels you can get. This would be good because I would only have to french the number plate area in about 9mm or so, but if they have to be E marked ones it would need to be deeper. Decisions.... Decisions....

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:55 pm
Stylus owner

Post Re: Numberplate Lights
whiterabbit wrote:
Has anyone any info on what is acceptable for rear numberplate light(s)? I rather fancy using 5mm dia. ultra bright white LEDs in the little plated bezels you can get. This would be good because I would only have to french the number plate area in about 9mm or so, but if they have to be E marked ones it would need to be deeper. Decisions.... Decisions....

Just an idea, why don't you use a backlit number plate like TVR it will also keep the lines of the car smooth, when i get mine thats what i'm going to do.

Phil :D

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:18 pm
Stylus owner

Post number plate lights
Hello Steve, what you have to remember is that they are looked at in daylight only so assessment of good function isn't possible. E marks weren't checked when mine was SVA'd , only heads and rear lights/brake lights/indicators. I put two tiny eyelid lights from 'Stafford' above the plate with my own mini eyelid extentions to point the light down.(alloy - sikaflexed !) He didn't even look at them :shock:
If you need to be absolutely certain about 'E' marks phone Tim.

Last time we spoke , you were sitting in my passenger seat getting a ' tow ' from Tim's RT :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:37 am
Stylus owner wannabe

I spotted on Tim,s orange car some very small bullet type lights that also hold on the number plate. Two jobs in one. They were no bigger than std size no-plate bolts. 8)

Dave.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:22 am
Stylus owner

I've got a motorbike numberplate light on my RT. its got 3 white LED's in it. no e mark as numberplate lights don't need one for SVA test. as long as your LED's aren't visible from the rear of the car at a parallel height, you'll be ok. You should only ba able to see the white light from the rear and not the actual filament its self.

Also with my motorbike light I didn't need to french in my numberplate at all which saved a lot of messing around on the build and also still looks good. Hope this helps. I'll get a photo of it and pop it on here tomorrow if ya like!

Cheers,

Alec

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:33 pm
Stylus owner

Thanks for all your prompt input guys, I think I'll persevere with my idea, and hold Alec's way as a fall-back option.

Seems a long time since the open day, Rob, shame we couldn't repeat it this year. Maybe next year?

Steve.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:43 pm
Stylus owner

Post open day
whiterabbit wrote:
Thanks for all your prompt input guys, I think I'll persevere with my idea, and hold Alec's way as a fall-back option.

Seems a long time since the open day, Rob, shame we couldn't repeat it this year. Maybe next year?

Steve.

Yes that was fun while it lasted :?: :lol: Just seen Alec's RT which looks a lovely build but am having trouble putting the pic's on here , very strange , keeps coming up '' invalid '' file ??? and they're under 2mb. I'll post them to Werner and maybe he can sort it ?

Rob.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:48 pm
Stylus owner

some pics of my numberplate light as promisedImage

Hope you manage to work things out!

Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:09 pm