[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
clubstylus - View topic - Just checking before I order up
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:21 pm

Just checking before I order up 

Post Just checking before I order up
I'm going to get new dampers and springs for the rear of my stylus, and I just want to make sure I'm ordering the right ones, reading through the other posts, it seems I need 15" open length 1.9 diameter dampers with 220lb springs, these are to match my 250 lb front springs with 11" dampers ( all will be protech. )

Shooter

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:13 pm
Stylus owner

Post Re: Just checking before I order up

Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:33 am

Thanks for the reply, as I weigh the same as you but my car definitely weighs more ( I would guess a minimum of 75 kg) would rear rear springs at 220lb be ok? Using the old 12% front to rear spring ratio it's seems to be yes.

Regards

Shooter

Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:13 pm
Stylus owner

Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:44 pm

I had 200lbs springs on the rear and I'm a fair bit heavier than Rob but my car was for road use. If I had kept it I would have dropped down to 180lbs as the 200lbs kept the ride a bit too firm and height a bit too high for my liking, also I would have gone to 200 or 220 on the front from my 250lbs'ers

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:42 pm

Just to give people an update, I've fitted the new dampers and springs to the front, what a difference it's made :D the ride is 100% better! I was able to lower the front by around 50mm giving the car plenty of rake, a quick blast up the road showed excellent stability up to around 100mph ( private road obviously ) and the ride was much more compliant, even with the 250lb springs. I expect this is due to the rake putting more weight over the front wheels.
Before the car was all over the road at speeds much lower with just me in it, with the mrs on board as well it was real bum clenching stuff, how the last owner drove it like that was a mystery.
I was hoping to fit the rears at the same time but the lower damper bolts have decided to weld themselves to the metalastic bushes :evil: so I'll have to drill the gits out.
A big thanks to stylusprinter for all the info.

Shooter

Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Been there done that on both rear damper top bolts, Shooter. Sawed through both of them by hand with a hacksaw blade in the dark in February! :lol:

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:18 pm
Stylus owner

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:29 pm

A further update,

I've just got round to fitting the new rear dampers and springs, after 2 weeks of spraying plusgas on the offending bolts just a gentle tap to get the bolts out WRONG!!!!! The sods were still seized solid, so out with the drill bits etc, to be honest it all went better that hoped, I managed to do both sides in 4hrs using decent drill bits and cutting fluid from my lathe/ mill.
A quick 30mile blast to see what it will be like, 100% better at the rear! a lot less crashing over bumps etc and felt more planted ( once the 888s had a bit of temp in them). Just the tracking to sort out now :D
A MEGA thank you to stylusprinter for all the advice so freely given.
A happy new year to all

Shooter

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:18 pm
Stylus owner

You're welcome , it's nice when people take advice then get the result . It takes lots of track time to find these things out , trying many spring rates and lengths , shock lengths and settings ----- it just can't be done on the road because there's never repeatability or possibility of finding the ' edge ' :wink:
It's rewarding for me too :)

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:33 pm