It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:49 am

Throttle balls! 

Post Throttle balls!
Evening all.

I would like to modify my throttle linkage so I have decent throttle travel when the motorbike throttle bodies are on. To do this I need a new 'ball' to mount the cable to. The ball is secured in the top of the pedal, and mates to a plastic housing that goes over it (this is on the end of the throttle cable), with a metal clip to secure it. I can only assume this was a ford part?

Unfortunately it measures an unusual 6.8mm diameter, and I can't seem to find anything to suit. Do any of you who built their own kits know where this part came from? All help appreciated!

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:33 pm
Stylus owner

Post Re: Throttle balls!
Craig-Chap wrote:
Evening all.

I would like to modify my throttle linkage so I have decent throttle travel when the motorbike throttle bodies are on. To do this I need a new 'ball' to mount the cable to. The ball is secured in the top of the pedal, and mates to a plastic housing that goes over it (this is on the end of the throttle cable), with a metal clip to secure it. I can only assume this was a ford part?

Unfortunately it measures an unusual 6.8mm diameter, and I can't seem to find anything to suit. Do any of you who built their own kits know where this part came from? All help appreciated!

No -- never seen anything like that :? Mine simply goes through a hole in the throttle arm top edge then gets clamped --- nothing from Mr FORD

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Do you have a picture of what you need to replace?

Could you replicate it with a solderless nipple on a generic cable?

Or take a look here and see if what you need is listed and they can make up a cable for you: http://www.speedycables.com/

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:27 pm

I've tried to attach a picture to show what I mean- hopefully it works!

Attachments:
Throttle linkage.jpg
Throttle linkage.jpg [ 54.58 KiB | Viewed 1624 times ]
Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:15 am

Yes I remember having one of those on my old Essex V6 throttle linkage to my 38 DGAS. Will have a rummage in my old spares bits tonight but I dont think I have a spare one.

I know this is in the US but something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARBURETOR-BA ... 1e6d19b9b7

As an alternative could you not cut that one off and re-weld it in a better position or maybe cut it off and drill/tap it and then bolt it where you want it?

Or if you know anyone with a lathe, they could knock you one up.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:49 am

Cutting and welding it is my fall back position- there won't be a huge amount left after saw kerf, which could then leave me with no way of connecting it! I have a new cable already made, unfortunately the cable makers didn't have any replacement 'balls'.

Just thought that I might be able to liberate one from the carb on the crossflow in the back of the garage- it would seem a shame to nick parts off something sellable though!

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:27 am