It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:28 pm

Type 9 First / Reverse selection 

Post Type 9 First / Reverse selection
My Type 9 just loves to go into reverse a bit too easily when I'm racing. It's probably because I'm flailing around like a lunatic but without fail I seem to get reverse rather than first gear when changing down. :oops:

Any tips for stiffening up the push-down mechanism, or what else could be done to help make first more positive? I'd heard the saddle bush wears and can cause a similar issue?

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:22 am
Stylus owner

Post Re: Type 9 First / Reverse selection
Fit a quick shift from rally designs and a brass saddle, the change becomes really positive and noticeable increase in effort to engage reverse.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:55 pm

Tell you what; I have no idea what's fitted to the car currently. Could well be standard or could be a short shift kit. I'd better have a look.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:07 pm
Stylus owner

The saddle is the normal culprit but my box is CR and quickshift but never had a problem with getting reverse when not wanted. Grabbed 2nd rather than 4th coming out of 5th though --- not good and VERY expensive.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Been out at lunch, taken the gaiter off and had a nose at the shifter. It's definitely been chopped and welded on the shaft and looks like a modified standard shifter rather than an aftermarket one. I've no problem with the throw, but there is a little side-to-side play when in gear so I suspect the saddle bush might be worn. Will replace it and see how I get on. I think it's also worth seeing if it's possible to fit a stronger push-down spring to make the engagement more positive.

Also going to replace the gear knob as it's a bit bling for my taste. Quite fancy one of those black nylon Quaife style ones.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:57 pm