It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 am

Castle Coombe 
Stylus owner

Post Castle Coombe
Motorsport-events are running trackdays at Castle Coombe several times in 2014 but one event on the 4th July suits my needs for a testing session before I compete there on the 18th Oct , particularly as I've never driven it in the Stylus or any other car.
It's one of their more expensive events being a circuit but I'm booking it. Anyone fancy it with me :?: I definitely need the familiarisation but it'll be really good fun too :)

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:27 am

Post Re: Castle Coombe
too far for me Rob, & am doing Anglesey on the 7th anyway.
Hopefully someone joins you!

Audi S3 8L
VW Touareg R-Line
17 seater LDV 400 minibus (for track work obviously)

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:52 pm
Stylus owner

norma wrote:
too far for me Rob, & am doing Anglesey on the 7th anyway.
Hopefully someone joins you!

H'mmm , that's another circuit I've not driven . Timm/ssc has driven it many times , putting some very hot machinery to shame just driving the company 1.8lt zetec on carbs. Caterham comes to mind :P

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:36 pm

Would love to, but the chances of having the spare cash are a little too slim at the moment I'm afraid :(

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:14 am
Stylus owner

josephmoore wrote:
Would love to, but the chances of having the spare cash are a little too slim at the moment I'm afraid :(

Yes , I sympathise on that score . I used to do 12 plus events a season but not since 2006 and even less since retiring --- bills come first don't they :(
Being my ' years ' means that if I keep the Stylus but do less than 3 events a season , I'd be off the ' pace ' . Leaving the startline/season opener and hitting 100mph on entry to the first corner at Goodwood , gives me a wake up call after 6mths not driving it :shock: . So tend not to spend elsewhere , holidays etc so's to continue competing :)
I plan to do 5 or 6 this season :P

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:42 am

Sticking to the autosolos at £20 a go 8) Missed the one on Sunday as it was peeing down with rain and the garage are still fettling with the Stylus but good to see a few direct bits of competition in class 5 this season - namely a Caterham Seven and a 750MC Locost race car. Slightly easier to gauge against than the spaceframed classic minis and one-off dirt buggies.

Still not quite the same as a proper track event though...

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:57 am
Stylus owner

Actually I'll be entering an earlier Coombe event on the 26th July , the DICK MAYO , SBD , BARC sprint . It's not in the ACSMC sprint championship but our ACSMC co-ordinator has said there's an inter - association team competition at this event PLUS he'll pay us £69 discount off the £115 entry fee :P So it'll cost me £46 to enter -- brilliant :D
There'll be several association teams of 3 drivers per team so awards will be either total points per team or position in class as a team --- not quite certain what the scoring system is but all will be revealed at some point.
TEAM 1
Jeff Wiltshire supercharged 2lt blacktop in class 8
Rob Farley 2lt zetec in class 13
Tim Simonds Honda S2000 in class '' production sports ''
There's a team 2 but don't know the drivers etc , so 6 entries for our association.

Mustn't bend it either cos I'm entered at Goodwood's Brighton & Hove sprint on August 2nd :wink:

Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:00 pm
Stylus owner

Just received the entries and final regulations for the ''Castle Coombe - Dick Mayo sprint'' on the 26th July. This is the one that's an inter - association event as a team of three. My class competition is an ANGLIA 2.9lt engine :?: and a RADICAL SR8 :shock:
So I know roughly what the result will be , especially if the Anglia's running slicks :roll: Ah well , anything can turn up in sports libre --- luck of the draw aye :lol:
Apparently we don't sprint the complete circuit , you start in the pitlane then finnish just before the paddock slip road entry , so miss 'CAMP' corner. Haven't a clue what a good lap should be for me , either way it'll be 10 sec's slower than an SR8 for sure :)
Probably need to leave at 4-45am for a 7-15 sign on and scrutineering :?:

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:30 pm
Stylus owner

No surprize to report the Radical SR8 V8 won our class at 62 sec's from memory (don't have written results as yet) This of course wasn't a complete lap of Coombe We started in the pitlane where it narrows from the collecting area and finished just a ' spit ' after the right kink following the last chicane . So no Camp corner -- presume that was to deal with the huge entry numbers. FTD was Steve Broughton in his 2lt Dallara at 55 sec's :shock:
Sports Libre over 1800cc -- 3 of us.
SR8 62sec's
Stylus(me) 69sec's
Anglia V6 3lt COSWORTH ? Couldn't see his time on the board.
Both Anglia/SR8 on slicks , me on list 1B's (Avon zzr's) My first practice was 74 sec's then 72 sec's . First timed run 72 sec's then finally the 69 sec's best. Without the results sheet I'm not totally sure but think I was 2nd in class but of course no award for 2nd with just 3 entries. Hopefully I'll get a result sheet either posted or online and report again. Surfice to say , I didn't get one perfect lap , improving one corner then mistakes on another that were nailed on a previous lap :roll:
Don't really know what a good time should be for my sort of car at Coombe but Jeff Wiltshire/Phoenix 400bhp s.charged did a 65 sec's best to win his roadgoing class :!: ----------------------- so I've a long way to catch up :lol:
I found it more technical than Goodwood which although very fast , once you know it just requires '' balls '' whereas Coombe has you very busy all through the lap so tricky to be smooth.
The weather was VERY VERY hot , great for grip but exhausting without the benefit of Goodwood's paddock garages :)

Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:48 am
Stylus owner

Got times now :!:
Radical V8 2.6lt ---- 2.8 sec's 64ft time ----- finish speed 95mph -------- lap 62.32 sec's
Stylus 2lt(me) ----- 2.6 sec's 64ft time -------- finish speed 85mph --------- lap 69.64 sec's 2nd in class
Anglia V6 Cosworth 2.9lt ----- 2.8 sec's 64ft time ----- finnish speed 72mph ---- lap 81.41 sec's Really surprised at this , it was an awesome little beast.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:15 pm