Rear trailing links

Put your parts for sale here
norma
Are you a Stylus owner?: yes

Re: Rear trailing links

Post by norma »

ooh, I fancy increasing the front track!!!!
SSC Sylus 2.0 Dunnell Black Top Zetec weber alpha / DTA + cams, 236@fly. (aka NORMA)
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

norma wrote:ooh, I fancy increasing the front track!!!!
What uprights have you got at the moment and wheel size/offset etc :?: If you choose that route then you'll need to do a little wheel arch cutting/flaring :wink:
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
norma

Post by norma »

no problems with arch mods - thats already on the list....
MKII uprights
15"x7" ET20
I think the arches I've bought will give me about 30mm each side, but the wider the better - I don't mind extra bodywork mods if you think 50mm's is that way to go. I want it to look fat 'n low.
I think spacers on the back will be fine, the ones that have their own bolts and you bolt them to the hub - I've got Quaife 1/2 shafts so the uprated bearings should take the load fine.
I've always felt the stylus to be too skinny but (like you Rob) bought mine before the RT was penned.
Might as well go the whole hog and have RobM suspension all round!
SSC Sylus 2.0 Dunnell Black Top Zetec weber alpha / DTA + cams, 236@fly. (aka NORMA)
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

ET20 on 15x7's makes your track width provided by the off-set 10mm's narrower than mine . If you retain those wheels/off-set then a 60mm's wider front end is quite a lot , so just check your overall front track at ground level ---tyre wall to tyre wall. Then you'll need to decide on the outer pivot being a big shank rodend OR spherical bearing . Spherical bearing lessen's the adjustability BUT both require new uprights to suit '' new top rockers & new wishbones '' (my preference is rodend but heavy duty). Also a 60mm's wider track will lower the existing spring rate , so travel up into the arches under cornering will be greater (more height taken out of arches plus your planned width/arch extentions) Mine rides lower than standard pick-ups will allow at the rear , without causing excessive tramp SO there's also mod's on my axle , pick-ups wise(I did in 2005)
The rear of course is simple , spacers , wider arches plus some height --- unless you fancy wider wheels with new off-set to suit without spacers .
I'm not trying to put you off Alex , simply making you aware of all the ' mod's ' required to go that route , as one thing £ leads to another £££££££ :wink: FOOD FOR THOUGHT :!:
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
CMA
Are you a Stylus owner?: no

Post by CMA »

I ran 7inch ET -7 wheels for a short while instead of my usual 6inch ET18s. I was running these -7s at Prescott, they did protrude quite a bit from the arches but they did seem to make the car more stable to drive hard. But my driving skill is fairly limited so don't take my word for it. According to a calculator on the web (http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp) that would have made my width another 76mm wider.
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

CMA wrote:I ran 7inch ET -7 wheels for a short while instead of my usual 6inch ET18s. I was running these -7s at Prescott, they did protrude quite a bit from the arches but they did seem to make the car more stable to drive hard. But my driving skill is fairly limited so don't take my word for it. According to a calculator on the web (http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp) that would have made my width another 76mm wider.
Running the et 7 would be 11mm's wider each side than your et 18's , so naturally the car would corner with less drama ------ your instinct is right :wink:
I run 15x7 's but with ET 15 so my width comes more from my mod's . The further your wheels project using low ET's (on the front) the more the geometry is compromised which is not a big deal unless you're competing.
CMA
Are you a Stylus owner?: no

Post by CMA »

The ET -7 (minus 7) were on 7 inch wide rims. The ET 18 were on 6 inch wide rims so it makes it a far bigger difference than 11mm. It was 38mm wider per side.

They did stick out way too far than the standard arches, so much that it would have been an MOT fail.

I'm back on ET16s now with my new wheels.
norma

Post by norma »

hmmmm, sounds like zero offset wheels might be the easiest/quickest solution then........
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

norma wrote:hmmmm, sounds like zero offset wheels might be the easiest/quickest solution then........
Well it's good to consider all options and if adjustability isn't a priority for you then top and bottom wishbones would be an extra expense --- :roll:
Come and stay over at mine sometime then you can see first hand what's involved :wink:
norma

Post by norma »

Thanks Rob - may trundle down one day when Norma's back on the road!!
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

These are the first pair of trailing links , of my own design , made for '' norma '' 's Stylus which will allow the fitting of 15 inch shocks , along with their 5 inch piston travel . Just need the rest of the bushes fitted .
Attachments
Trailing links lower mount 003 (Medium).jpg
Trailing links lower mount 001 (Medium).jpg
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

With bushes fitted --- inner sleeve lubed & 1mm outside the top hat :wink:
Attachments
Trailing links lower mount 005 (Large).jpg
norma

Post by norma »

great! look forward to fitting them, will take a while as I have 3 broken cars at present, and the poor stylus is at the back of the garage so last on the list :-(
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

norma wrote:great! look forward to fitting them, will take a while as I have 3 broken cars at present, and the poor stylus is at the back of the garage so last on the list :-(
Have you fitted these yet Norma :?: pic's if yes please :P
norma

Post by norma »

ah, erm, well, erm, not quite yet.
The stylus has had all of about 10 hrs love & labour in the last 12 months
the vx220 has had 100's of hours
the rs4 has had 100's of hours
the s6 has had 20 or so hrs

rs4 now sold so the stylus has moved up the list, although I seem to be in the process of buying an exige so it's in danger of slipping back into 4th place.....

However, I WILL get there as she is my favourite & first love :D