Lining up rear axle

Everythiong related to chassis, suspension, steering, tyres, etc...
CMA
Are you a Stylus owner?: no

Lining up rear axle

Post by CMA »

Whats the best way to make sure the rear axle is in line with the chassis using an adjustable panhard rod?

I've used the chassis rails at the side of the boot area and dropped a straight edge down then measured the wheel rim from this point and lined up based on that. Is that the simplest way?

Seems my bodyshell isnt on very equal at the back if thats correct as one whell sticks out but the other is well in the wheel arch.
stylussprinter
Stylus owner
Are you a Stylus owner?: yes

Re: Lining up rear axle

Post by stylussprinter »

The main website/not forum shows how to align via the build manual . Many people fitted their bodyshells out of line including me , hence extending arches rather than being out of alignment :wink:
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
CMA

Post by CMA »

Thanks but I can't seem to find the bit you refer to. The "6. Rear Suspension (Live)" part of the build manual section is not a link so can't click on it.
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

CMA wrote:Thanks but I can't seem to find the bit you refer to. The "6. Rear Suspension (Live)" part of the build manual section is not a link so can't click on it.
OK Rob , I'll have a browse for the complete manual download on here somewhere. If I can't find it I can send you a copy from my PC Photo files :wink:
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

Rob , it's under BUILD PROGRESS & MOD'S on our forum index page --- about 20 threads down titled BUILD MANUAL . It's the last post by Werner :P
CMA

Post by CMA »

Got it thanks:

"Centralizing the back axle is very easy. Simply wind the thread in or out on the Panhard
rods, until the axle measures the same distance both sides with the side rails on the
chassis."

Not easy when you have the body already attached. Will have to assume the chassis rails about 6inch rear of the roll bar mounting point are a good enough point to work from....

Although I'm not sure the 5mm+ the tyre sticks out from the bodywork will pass the mot....