Paint work issues!

Everything regarding bodywork and materials like fiber glass etc...
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Paint work issues!

Post by Pete&Matt »

I removed my bonnet from my workshop this week, only to find that from the heavy rain we had a few weeks ago, the sheets it was on got wet and the prolonged contact with the water has made the paint work on the front nose cone bubble! Only way to rectify it is to have it stripped and re-done :( not a happy bunny!
pic.jpg
stylussprinter
Stylus owner
Are you a Stylus owner?: yes

Re: Paint work issues!

Post by stylussprinter »

When I've had the flipfront off the car it's either been laid underside down or stood up underside against the wall . Water isn't the problem so much as the material being in constant touch , rained on for months wouldn't have done it. Have you tried the paint guy for some sympathy , payment wise :?:
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
josephmoore

Post by josephmoore »

Are you sure it's the paint bubbling and not osmosis in the polyester resin of the GRP?
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Post by Pete&Matt »

It does appear to be osmosis in the fibreglass itself, however it has only done this in the area that was in contact with the wet sheets! Only the painted surface was in contact!

It has stretched the lacquer and will not go back to how it was as it will leave a ring mark around it.

I am going to call Joe Middleton tomorrow and have a chat with him and see what he thinks.
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

Pete&Matt wrote:It does appear to be osmosis in the fibreglass itself, however it has only done this in the area that was in contact with the wet sheets! Only the painted surface was in contact!

It has stretched the lacquer and will not go back to how it was as it will leave a ring mark around it.

I am going to call Joe Middleton tomorrow and have a chat with him and see what he thinks.
He might take pity on you for a decent '' drink '' :?:
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Post by Pete&Matt »

I dont really see it being his fault this is the prob! Either way it will get sorted, just seems to be the way with this car. One step forward 2 steps back!
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Post by Pete&Matt »

Have spoken to Joe this morning and he has said that this is quite common is the fibreglass is left in constant contact with water for some time.

he has seen the same issue with car covers that have then caused condensation between the body and the cover.

Bonnet is going up at the beginning of December to be sorted out and get it back to how it should be!

Matt