4AGE engine and bonnet clearance

Everything regarding bodywork and materials like fiber glass etc...
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

4AGE engine and bonnet clearance

Post by Pete&Matt »

Just put the engine and box in to have the exhaust manifold made up. First time fitted the flip as well and just our luck the bonnet hits the oil filler cap, :cry: and maybe hit the cam cover backplate. Tim though it would clear :roll: . Those of you who have the 4AGE engine (this is early 16V), any problems along those lines? The easy answer is to fit a power bulge/vent, but we only want to do that as a last resort. The engine mount rubbers are quite tall (at a guess 100mm). Could fit smaller ones but then sump will protrude beneath the chassis more.

Any suggestions?
Werner Van Loock
Stylus owner
Are you a Stylus owner?: yes

Re: 4AGE engine and bonnet clearance

Post by Werner Van Loock »

100mm? Get shorter ones and everything will clear, I've got a 4AGE in my Striker and loads of space there. Don't know how it compares to the stylus though. Get the sump shortened of the 4age, they're steel, so is not a big deal to get done, just get it done by people that know the 4age as they need to shorten it so that the oil capacity stays almost the same. And while you're at it, get some ARP conrod bolts in there, the early engines have smaller diameter (what's it called, pin in the crank that the conrod's connected to) and so aren't that strong at high revs.
http://www.7rcb.be http://www.kitcarclub.nl

Mileage striker 4age-16v twin DHLA Image
MattD
Stylus owner

Post by MattD »

Hi Guys

Doesn't help you too much, :roll: but..
Have a look at the pics I took of the LHD car Peter Powell built (& therefore, Tim did all the work. :lol: )
It's the Giacomo Ceccato (Italian Demonstrator Car), in members cars on the main clubsite, that was waiting to be collected when I was in Wales one day.

Has 1600 4AGE, & the small V8 type bonnet bulge, like my car.
So must have been some sort of a bonnet/engine contact (you can see the oil filler is right under the fitted bulge).

Matt.
SSC Stylus Integrale Turbo16V
Kit 1999, OTR 2002, and still tweaking....
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

Why don't you contact Pete Smith / phfc on this list , he's got a 4age in his :wink:
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
pfhc
Stylus owner

Post by pfhc »

Anything I can help with. Robs correct I have a 4age 20valve version in my stylus
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Post by Pete&Matt »

Hi Pete

How much clearance do you have between the engine and bonnet? Would it be possible to measure your rubber engine mounts for me? Im after the thickness.

We removed the filler cap at the weekend and it now nearly closes. Its hitting on the cam cover backplate now. We are going to remove this next and see if it shuts. Its all a little too close for my liking and would be intrested if you have similar issues? I think the 20v engine is slightly shorter though in the head dept?

Also, how much does your sump protrude?

Thanks

Matt
pfhc
Stylus owner

Post by pfhc »

Matt

Its very difficult to say what clearance I have between the top of the engine and the bonnet so the nearest I could come up with was to place a straight edge across the top of the wings and measure the gap beneath it to the top of the engine. At no point did I have less than 35mm. With the bonnet shut the straight edge touched the top of the bonnet. Therefore the clearance must be 35mm less the thickness of the bonnet, lets say 5mm so around 25mm.

My engine mounts are approximately 90mm in diameter and 35mm high.

The sump sticks below the chassis rails by approximately 75mm. Looks like I have another wheel in the middle of the car when following behind. I have always promised myself a new sump but I haven't yet been able to justify the cost. As the low point is just behind the wheels I doesn't give me any problem with clearing speed bumps.

The biggest problem I had fitting it all in was with the air filter over the fuel injection trumpets. at the side of the engine bay. Take a look at some of my photos cars section to see what I mean.

If you want to give me a call to talk about anything drop me your email off line and I will let you have my number.

Peter
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Post by Pete&Matt »

well it all now closes! When the oil filler cap is removed, it gives space under there! The cambelt back plate also clears! Just got to machine up a different oil cap!

So its off to Nev Powell now! wohoo!
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

Good to here you've got it sorted . Rob
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Post by Pete&Matt »

not a lot to do after Nev has finished with it before it needs to be painted!

The main big thing after that is the engine and gear box! all fun eh!
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

Maybe I'll be a sneeky chap and drop in to Nev's to see it if I'm going down to relatives nearby :roll:
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Post by Pete&Matt »

i will get some pics up on here when i have the car outside again next!
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Post by Pete&Matt »

The car is now with Nev to have the work done! Looking forward to getting it back as it means the body work is nearly complete then!

I will post pics of the work as and when i recieve them!
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Post by Pete&Matt »

I have had some pics through from Nev today.

Looking good so far!
Attachments
016.jpg
015.jpg
013.jpg
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Post by Pete&Matt »

Couple more recent pics!!
Attachments
012.jpg