More work & £££ !

Everything regarding bodywork and materials like fiber glass etc...
MattD
Stylus owner
Are you a Stylus owner?: yes

More work & £££ !

Post by MattD »

Was a bit fired up when I got back last night from the sprint. :roll:

So got diverted to a mates workshop & after a bit of banter & a cuppa, this happened !
DSC_0515.jpg
DSC_0520.jpg
040.JPG
042.JPG
046.JPG
Was always intending to flip-front it this year, and I had said "after the sprint", but hadn't meant the same evening :evil:
There's a few things in the pipeline, meaning better access is needed.

Matt
SSC Stylus Integrale Turbo16V
Kit 1999, OTR 2002, and still tweaking....
norma

Re: More work & £££ !

Post by norma »

thats what i like to see - no dilly dallying, someone who just gets stuck in! :D
SSC Sylus 2.0 Dunnell Black Top Zetec weber alpha / DTA + cams, 236@fly. (aka NORMA)
Antnicuk

Post by Antnicuk »

more importantly, nice workshop :mrgreen:
Help! just starting out

Edit: Getting the hang of it............. Slowly
MattD
Stylus owner

Post by MattD »

Antnicuk wrote:more importantly, nice workshop :mrgreen:
Sadly, only borrowed, but free & available for 2 weeks !
MattD
Stylus owner

Pedal Box

Post by MattD »

I've been really p'd off with my throttle pedal position for ages.
I modified it from the SCC spec as I thought I knew better 10 years back, & have put up with it ever since.
I'm used it, but Rob drove the car at Snetterton last autumn - I won't quote his response !

So, had a look around & thought about Tim's much better floor mounted system.
I ended up with a bias pedal box from OBP.
It needed a bit of fettling under the throttle pedal, due to the shape of the Stylus footwell, & the throttle pedal is ridiculously tall & will need cutting down.

Still a work in progress, but you'll get the idea..... :lol:
121.JPG
124.JPG
125.JPG
129.JPG
MattD
Stylus owner

Post by MattD »

This is the car as of 11pm last night...

10 years of use is taking its toll.... :cry:
The wiring is awful & needs re-doing, brake & fuel lines & unions are worn & tired, plus it needs a good de-rust & repaint.
Pedal box tower fell off too, with a bit of help :lol:
015.JPG
016.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG
Attachments
022.JPG
MattD
Stylus owner

Post by MattD »

Well then, time to come clean with what I’m really up to !
After A LOT of thought I’m replacing the Zetec.
It was a really hard decision as the Zetec is sooooo good , talks to you all the way to 7500rpm, never misses a beat, totally recommended.
I really must be going mad by changing it... :cry:
I was intending to upgrade from current 170 ish hp spec, by fitting some nice cams & pocketing the pistons. Problem is I don’t like doing half a job & £££ was an issue.
To take the benefit of that spec, the engine needs a nicely worked cylinder head to go with it, & overall thats the sharp end of £ 1500 for 200/205 BHP.

So with the help of my partner in crime.... we ripped the heart out of the Stylus last night. :oops:
017.JPG
Purely by chance the engine I had always intended to fit in the car, in fact the later 16V version, came along on the SylvaChat list a few weeks back... :)
056.JPG
OK it’s a bit old these days, but that’s what makes it interesting. And I had an 8v - 15 years back, So its old familiar ground.
Really its the same vintage as a Silvertop Zetec, but being italian, bits can be harder to find.
Fortunately Integrale's are still Scooby beating classics !

Slightly heavier than the Zetec, due to it steel crank, but producing an unstressed 270BHP @ 5500, & 245 ft/lb. All on its original Bosch injection gear, mated to a Ford type-9.
052.JPG
Mainly its cheap power, about the limit for the chassis I think (Tony might argue otherwise !).

Plan is to get it installed and running as is, sort out all the gremlins, then whip it back out for some final tweaks.
- Much, much easier with the front flip !

I’ve sold the Zetec for good £££, & if I add that on to the budget it means I can get my existing box upgraded to HD by BGH,
change the electronics to an Emerald, upgrade the front brakes & pedal box, & if there’s any left swap the half-shafts to Quaife.

Time will tell if it’s a good idea, but a change is as a good as a rest. :roll:
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock: You nutter ---- 270bhp :P That's it then , no more set-up info from me you sneeky little ....................................... :oops:

When you've sorted that little lot I'll see you at Goodwood BUT don't forget to fit the Stylus Integrale with a tow bar then I'll hitch a lift :lol: :lol: :lol:
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
CMA
Are you a Stylus owner?: no

Post by CMA »

VERY NICE, Cant beat a bit of Italian under the bonnet 8)
MattD
Stylus owner

Post by MattD »

Hmmm... will have to learn to modulate the right foot all over again :shock: :shock:
Antnicuk

Post by Antnicuk »

that will be very nice, i assume its still turbo charged with that sort of power? in which case you will be needing intercoolers etc??

I found rather than learn how to feather the throttle, to just learn how to control the sideways motion and hold the throtle flat, its much more fun :mrgreen: although Rob wont agree.

I'm using the same obp and yes, the funny footwell makes it a challenge but im really happy with it, i can drive the car with boots on and still have plenty of room.

Only thing you will have to look out for if the location of the M/Cs and your turbo as from the picture it looks like its on the drivers side.

Be prepared for hot feet and a very hot cabin
Help! just starting out

Edit: Getting the hang of it............. Slowly
MattD
Stylus owner

Post by MattD »

Antnicuk wrote:that will be very nice, i assume its still turbo charged with that sort of power? in which case you will be needing intercoolers etc??

I found rather than learn how to feather the throttle, to just learn how to control the sideways motion and hold the throtle flat, its much more fun :mrgreen: although Rob wont agree.

I'm using the same obp and yes, the funny footwell makes it a challenge but im really happy with it, i can drive the car with boots on and still have plenty of room.

Only thing you will have to look out for if the location of the M/Cs and your turbo as from the picture it looks like its on the drivers side.

Be prepared for hot feet and a very hot cabin
Hi Tony

Yep, still turbo'd, hybrid T3.
Photo is deceptive, the hot bits are on the passenger side, brakes should be Ok.
Have got to fab an exhaust onto my current can, plus find a home for an intercooler & cold air supply / ductwork
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

Tony's method & position for the intercooler looks good --- bit of body modding :roll:
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
rossco61
Stylus owner

Post by rossco61 »

Hi all, still watching altho not doing much these days. Too many other irons in the fire !!
I see that Matt needs info on Intercooler placement.
Photo included with my install onto the Nissan CA18DET and a redesigned front mount frame.
Both the Radiator & the Intercooler are rubber mounted to the frame, in compression, not tension.
Air inlet to the Turbo will come over the Turbo to Int/cooler pipe, then turn to the center & into a Pod Filter,
mounted to the new frame. There is 8" clearance to the front body oval air intake from the frame.
NO Body Modding required !!!

Rossco
Attachments
Int-cool on new frame 004.jpg
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

Looking aggressive already :P