What it used to look like !

Everything regarding bodywork and materials like fiber glass etc...
stylussprinter
Stylus owner
Are you a Stylus owner?: yes

What it used to look like !

Post by stylussprinter »

Just came across this photo taken soon after fitting quad lights AND before they got ripped out at Cadwell :lol: Begining to look forward to the repair being complete ---- looking back , I think I liked it better without the ' stickers ' 8)
Attachments
Picture 008.jpg
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
flipper123

Re: What it used to look like !

Post by flipper123 »

if you ever sell it rob i would be interested.
SHE'S ALIVE!!!! SHE'S ALIVE!!!!

stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

flipper123 wrote:if you ever sell it rob i would be interested.
Not sure you would if you knew the development direction and total cost :wink: Build plus ongoing development cost would have bought me the top spec ' Caterham 2.3 lightweight or several other very exotic beasts like Radical or Ultima :shock: Having said that , it wasn't a choice made with that knowledge when I decided to build it but it's inadequacies started my development trail :)
It's what you can't see that's burned my wallet :shock:
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
DH2

Post by DH2 »

stylussprinter wrote:Build plus ongoing development cost would have bought me the top spec ' Caterham 2.3 lightweight or several other very exotic beasts like Radical or Ultima :shock:
Given that a reasonable spec Radical or Ultima costs somewhere around 30-40k, are you really saying you've spent "several" times that amount?
I'm intrigued to know where all that has gone, even if it can't be seen in that photo...

DH2
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

My post clearly says '' I could have had -- etc for the '' same '' cost as a Radical ''
Where does it say several times the cost :? Over 11 yrs my car owes me 38,000 . The first build was 16,000 and the rest totted up as it got further developed plus repaired in 2009 :( I still have every invoice from 1997 when I bought the chassis .
DH2

Post by DH2 »

stylussprinter wrote:My post clearly says
ok maybe not clearly, but I can see I have misinterpreted "several other exotic beasts".
still a fair whack - I didn't dare ever add up what I spent on my Westfield for just that reason!

DH2
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

Keeping costs in my head helps make decisions and is one reason that I've not gone to slicks to match my class competitors :wink:

Slicks plus wheels(no point in using existing wheels/R888's wet :roll: ) = £2200 then if full gain is to be had -- upping engine to 243bhp from 231bhp = £1200 at best , then dry sumping to cover the extra cornering oil surge from slicks = £2000

Total £5400 without replacing my R888's that are very close to canvas now :roll:

I know plenty who wouldn't worry/bother and just put the slicks on anyway BUT they haven't still got the same engine they started with which I have :wink: Some have replaced theirs twice during my 10 years competing :wink:
flipper123

Post by flipper123 »

hobbies hey i think we have the most expensive out of the lot. if you had bought an ultima rob, you wouldnt have met all these stylus owners and where would we all be without you.
did you have any car knowlege before the build? or owned any other interesting toys? was the stylus the first car you competed in
SHE'S ALIVE!!!! SHE'S ALIVE!!!!

stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

Depends what you call interesting :roll: Started building a 50's kit car when I was 14 yrs called a HAMBLIN , based on the Austin Seven . Never finished it due to family influence but had support from my uncle being ex REME and a ' mean ' driver . My first quick car was a MINI COOPER then nothing very fast until a friend and myself built a special from an SS Jaguar which we cut 3 feet from the chassis and welded her together then sprinted it at Blackbush . Years went by and married with children prevented motorsport financially plus I was a farm manager , so no time anyway . At 33yrs I had a Formula Ford experience at Goodwood when the only restriction was to stay behind the professional and not above 5000 rpm and he lead us around the circuit ----------------------------- it was bloody hilarious , I just stuck a cars length off his rear and he kept going quicker and so did I :P When we finished he got out of his car with it still rolling and was shouting at the guys in the pit and pointing at me . The guy who'd taken my cash came over and asked whether I'd ever driven a F.Ford before --- no , why says I :P Anyway it was very cheap at £25 for 6 laps or so .
A couple of years later I went to Thruxton for a F.Ford experience which was a little more diciplined . James Weaver AKA 'mad james weaver' took me out in a Ford RS2000 track car and put my ear nearly on the grass through the corners ---- an awesome experience :o After that they let you loose in a F.Ford .

Toys wise , I went through a BMW 2002tii , MG Midget 1500 , Fiat 125 Sport , Anglia 1200 Weber45's and head mod's , Zepher 2.4 with cams and Webers , Cortina M2 GT , Fiat Supamirafiore 1600 , Mitsubishe Celeste 2lt , Manta GTE 2lt . There were other more boring ones in between .

Nothing then till I built the Stylus in 1997/1999 :D
Having been farming most of my life before starting my own business landscaping , I'd always serviced , repaired everything mechanical myself so the only learning curve was fibre glass and wiring :lol: