ARB

Put your parts for sale here
stylussprinter
Stylus owner
Are you a Stylus owner?: yes

Re: ARB

Post by stylussprinter »

Apparently JP has been enquiring about the ARB so a friend building a J15 informed me :roll: I've been to look at his J15 to see how my ARB could be adapted for it . He's fitting a modified Duratec in the rear so should be fun :P Started making up 3 ARB's this week . One for me , one for a guy with a Fury plus one for Alex/norma . Once you start cutting and measuring to drill you might as well do several . I intend running a stiffer ARB with a little less camber as a test against my existing ARB . Well , that's when my engine actually starts on the button and I can get somewhere to run it on track :roll:
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
norma

Post by norma »

mine arrived today - many thanks Rob
SSC Sylus 2.0 Dunnell Black Top Zetec weber alpha / DTA + cams, 236@fly. (aka NORMA)
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

That's not bad for first class parcel post :o
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

Don't forget to put rubber or silicon tube between each lever arm and the polyclamp . Slit it down one side then cable tie it really tight. Not everybody has had the bar move , mine didn't for some time but last year it moved left right a little which could see it coming into contact with an oil filter or something :roll: I can't weld washers to the bar to avoid this due to the variable measurements of our chassis tubes and bottom shock mount points. No oil filter = no engine :shock:
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

Two more ARB's made up , one already collected to fit a Blacktop Fury plus another to fit a Phoenix . Run out of polyclamps and certain stainless socket heads so ordered more --- they arrived promptly yesterday . It won't be long before I'll need more hex link rod material and rodends . I had enough bits and pieces 3 yrs back , apart from the actual steel , to make 25 kits . So must have made 20 odd to date :)
norma

Post by norma »

I took Norma out for a good blast today, arb makes front end alot more secure feeling, I did however have to reduce my front avo shocks to only 1 click!
Felt really sharp - was lovely :D
Thanks Rob!
SSC Sylus 2.0 Dunnell Black Top Zetec weber alpha / DTA + cams, 236@fly. (aka NORMA)
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

norma wrote:I took Norma out for a good blast today, arb makes front end alot more secure feeling, I did however have to reduce my front avo shocks to only 1 click!
Felt really sharp - was lovely :D
Thanks Rob!
Nice to here :D Keep the shocks in proportion to each other though ie -- if fronts are 1 click then 2 clicks rear , plus of course the approx'ly 20mm higher rear chassis height than the front :wink: Tyres max 18psi for the road , 1 or 2 less on track Track's where you're really going to notice the ARB .
se7ensport
Stylus owner

Post by se7ensport »

ARB on a road going car; is it worth it or will it lead to trouble in the wet?

Will one fit easily in this space?

Cheers
Alex
norma

Post by norma »

should fit ok - loads a room!
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

I can't see the complete ARB in the photo so not possible to see it's attachment and function properly ------------ however , an ARB on a road or track car will not change any other function other than in cornering. If your set-up is soft or whatever , braking , accelerating wont be affected , just cornering to resist roll . It will transform it though :!:

If you ask anyone who's fitted mine , very few compete in their cars but all love the result :wink:
se7ensport
Stylus owner

Post by se7ensport »

Rob

No ARB fitted, it's probably the disconnected bonnet hinge that is resting on the top of the shock that you are looking at.

The reason I asked about use on the road, specifically wet (it is the UK after all), is that you've commented before about disconnecting one side of yours when the rain has been heavy on the track and wondered if this was specific to your stiff spring choice and trying to get a softer front end easily or that the ARB is primarily for dry track use.
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

se7ensport wrote:Rob

No ARB fitted, it's probably the disconnected bonnet hinge that is resting on the top of the shock that you are looking at.

The reason I asked about use on the road, specifically wet (it is the UK after all), is that you've commented before about disconnecting one side of yours when the rain has been heavy on the track and wondered if this was specific to your stiff spring choice and trying to get a softer front end easily or that the ARB is primarily for dry track use.
Ah -- I see :) I did say that , several years back because I was concerned people would feel the new found dry grip but forget that in swamp conditions it could aquaplane if driven as for dry :shock: Basically covering my 'backside' ------------- however , intelligent drivers will know and understand that point , therefore drive with caution in those circumstances :wink:

I'm too lazy to disconnect so simply drive to conditions on track that day and have never lost the front end , merely had to be sensitive to my rear :)

Matt D, NORMA and KevP have tracked a lot too so will be interesting to await their comments :roll:

Give me a buzz via PM if you decide to go ahead Alex :)
MattD
Stylus owner

Post by MattD »

Well... I finally got my ARB working with the revised engine setup last week.

The bar itself is along the front cross-member, & you can see the pushrod links to the rockers.
I have space issues, as the Lancia lump is longer than a zetec, & the waterpump gets in the way.
So, different to Rob's normal fitment, but works the same way.

I fitted this on Thurs night, same day I taxed the car, & drove it 15 miles each way to an FDMC club meet.
That was the night it was -11 in some parts, more like -6 local to me.
The car was "OK" without the ARB connected, but "planted" with it connected. And that was before I setup the front end properly on Saturday.
Getting the ARB working was top of the list of jobs - its that important !!

The ARB reduces any tendency for roll when cornering, this means more steering lock needed than without ARB (cos the front isnt rolling the tyre over to provide grip).
The point is that you are more positive with the entry, loading the suspension & outside tyre more, carrying more speed. She will make the corner, despite what you think.

So, the steering is heavier & you develop bigger forearms, the rear end feels more knife edgy (basically cos you're cornering faster), and bumpy roads feel even bumpier.
If it understeers or oversteers more than you like, dial it out with rake & toe/camber/castor adjustment, the same as if you would without an ARB.

In the wet (or the ice :-) ) the cornering traits are highlighted further & you drive accordingly. But no special skills needed, ARB or not, & the car tells you whats she's going to do with plenty of notice :mrgreen:

Just my 2p worth :lol:

Matt
SSC Stylus Integrale Turbo16V
Kit 1999, OTR 2002, and still tweaking....
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

One ARB kit on it's way to you Alex , as of this morning's post :) Any fitting issues , just phone or email me BUT the key thing is to put plenty of leverage on that 8 inch spanner for the socketheads pinching those spacers to clamp the rodends into being the only pivot :!:

Ditto the nuts clamping the polymounts onto the chassis -------------------- then drive and check again after 20 miles , the poly's will give a little .
se7ensport
Stylus owner

Post by se7ensport »

Cheers Rob, ARB went in tonight.

To prevent the ARB from drifting side to side I've used 16mm silicone hose that I was able to fit without splitting by using hot water and washing up liquid.

Hoping to have the car running this weekend with possiblity of test drive prior to MOT.

Question on set up: if you have gone to the trouble of corner weighting the car with only the driver in it, should the ARB rod adjustment also be done with the the driver in the car to ensure that there is zero torsion through the ARB when in a static state?