Door Handles

Everything regarding bodywork and materials like fiber glass etc...
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Door Handles

Post by Pete&Matt »

Does anyone use exterior door handles? Most of the pictures i see are all internal handles.
I take it you need to undo the hood to get in if you only have internal handles?
hearbear
Stylus owner
Are you a Stylus owner?: yes

Post by hearbear »

how about http://www.commandoalarms.com/itmidx5.htm I an thinking along this line myself

George
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Post by Pete&Matt »

would like to keep away from electronics if possible, plus it will add a lot of weight to the doors. Probally going to put exterior handles on with locks too.
Ady8077
Stylus owner

Post by Ady8077 »

Hi

I've used the handles off a vectra, they follow the curve of the door ok

Adrian
Blitz
Stylus owner

Post by Blitz »

Hi,
I have just got hold of the door handles from the Mazda MX5 (early version...H reg i think) They are the small finger pull type, they are pretty small and look about the right size for the door. havn't fitted them yet though.
cheers
neil
PeteC

Re: Door Handles

Post by PeteC »

Did you get round to using the MX5 handles, and what where they like?
Pete (who is about to find some handles!!!)
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

It's not a big deal to open three hood poppers to put your arm in and flick the door latch PLUS it's harder for people to find their way in who you'd rather didn't :wink:
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
spegru

Post by spegru »

I have recently replaced a previous setup that used Metro hatchback catches with the early Mazda MX5 ones that I got off ebay. They work very well and look great.
I didnt bother with key locks though. I also kept the Metro catches
spegru

Post by spegru »

here is a pic showing my exterior early MX5 handles.
I used a rubber grommet to fill in the key hole. I wish I could find a blind grommet but I guess you could use body filler or anything for that
IMAG0103.jpg
I recessed the whole thing into the door and created a lip under the door skin for the handle to sit on, using fibreglass offcuts and body filler. I used the standard handle fitting bolts/studs and some steel strip to lock it into the door. A bit of a fiddle to do but well worth it. I am quite pleased with it.
kevp
Stylus owner

Post by kevp »

spegru wrote:here is a pic showing my exterior early MX5 handles.
I used a rubber grommet to fill in the key hole. I wish I could find a blind grommet but I guess you could use body filler or anything for that
IMAG0103.jpg
I recessed the whole thing into the door and created a lip under the door skin for the handle to sit on, using fibreglass offcuts and body filler. I used the standard handle fitting bolts/studs and some steel strip to lock it into the door. A bit of a fiddle to do but well worth it. I am quite pleased with it.
What size grommet?