cortina uprights and ? top arms

Everythiong related to chassis, suspension, steering, tyres, etc...
alfablack
Are you a Stylus owner?: yes

cortina uprights and ? top arms

Post by alfablack »

Hi can anyone assist with my problem.
at present I am running sierra uprights and standard I assume rocker arms.
I have got some Cortina uprights I wish to use with some new light weight calipers but my top arms connect to a I think metro ball joint. what can I use /change /upgrade to be able to fit the Cortina uprights
any help would be most gratefully recieved
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Re: cortina uprights and ? top arms

Post by stylussprinter »

alfablack wrote:Hi can anyone assist with my problem.
at present I am running sierra uprights and standard I assume rocker arms.
I have got some Cortina uprights I wish to use with some new light weight calipers but my top arms connect to a I think metro ball joint. what can I use /change /upgrade to be able to fit the Cortina uprights
any help would be most gratefully recieved
I think if you look at a Westfield front end using standard Cortina uprights(most are)you'll see their top wishbone has a SPECIAL MOUNTING to house a Cortina upright's top --- so either copy it or buy that standard piece , I'm sure it's from a Chevette or similar John. Dennis of SILTECH RACING in Norfolk will know :wink:
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
alfablack

Post by alfablack »

Thanks Rob. hope I find you in good health,
been of for a couple of weeks and today went up the workshop and chopped the foot wells out of my chassis along with inner bottom rails widening it for the getrag box. moved the steering column over along with the pedal box to the right squared of the chassis side to accept the pedal box. the getrag box as gone back about 55mm along with moving the engine and helping the balance. especially being a de dion car its a bit arse heavy.
I have also done the tube to go across the back of the towers and put 2 diagonals left to right as in top of left tower to back of lower wish bone and the from the centre of that bar to the back of the wishbone on the other side so it is all tied together
will post some pics as soon as I can reduce the size.
all going quite well
DH2

Post by DH2 »

stylussprinter wrote: I think if you look at a Westfield front end using standard Cortina uprights(most are)you'll see their top wishbone has a SPECIAL MOUNTING to house a Cortina upright's top --- so either copy it or buy that standard piece , I'm sure it's from a Chevette or similar John. Dennis of SILTECH RACING in Norfolk will know :wink:
Westfield top wishbone uses a Transit drag link into a choice of Cortina geo uprights.
alfablack

Post by alfablack »

so I take it by looking at the pictures I am going to have to modify my own or produce some new top arms ?
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

alfablack wrote:so I take it by looking at the pictures I am going to have to modify my own or produce some new top arms ?
Just modify yours , it'll save making a jig :wink:
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.