Body off and inner tub

Everything regarding bodywork and materials like fiber glass etc...
DH2
Are you a Stylus owner?: yes

Body off and inner tub

Post by DH2 »

So as part of my rebuild, I am intending on removing the body. Could be a big job.
I've been reading around and lots of mention of "inner tub", which I get the feeling consists of... well I'm not entirely certain, but the front firewall/bulkhead, and perhaps a rear one as well? I've only found one photo of it which is Werners old car when it was for sale.
Going from the build manaual, it seems that the inner tub is plonked on the car, and some rivets inserted somewhere, then the main outer body is fitted and aligned, and the two are bonded together where they join. So I'm thinking I may well need to undo some of this to get at the chassis, but not sure at present where I will be needed to do this.

It's mostly conjecture at the moment, but no harm is daydreaming/planning ahead... if anyone has any photos of the inner tub and/or where the two join, that might be helpful in me understanding what I am taking on.

DH2
MattD
Stylus owner

Re: Body off and inner tub

Post by MattD »

The inner tub in all its glory....

Front firewall, to boot floor, but no rear bulkhead.
100-0054_IMG.JPG
100-0055_IMG.JPG
100-0056_IMG.JPG
100-0059_IMG.JPG
100-0060_IMG.JPG
SSC Stylus Integrale Turbo16V
Kit 1999, OTR 2002, and still tweaking....
DH2

Post by DH2 »

Thanks Matt, that's really helpful. Actually those photos ring a bell, so I guess I'd not turned them up when searching.

So I can see from my car that the inner tub gets rivetted along the front edge, and around the rear in the boot. Presumably it is also affixed along the sides, which appears to form the door sill? Can't see any fixings on my car, but maybe I need to pull some trim away to find it. Might it also be fixed along the top edge of the seat pans? I guess it should also be bonded to the outer body wherever it contacts too? Wonder if it'll be better to take it off in one piece, or cut it in two again. Hmmm...

The boot on my car is a real mess, so I was already envisaging cutting this away and starting again to produce something more useful and watertight...

I'm going to be learning some fibreglassing skills I think. Oh how I wish I didn't have to sit here at work and could just get out to the garage and get on with it for a while!

DH2
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

Where the bonnet shuts at the windscreen end you'll see a bolt in each corner left and right of the water gulley . They bolt through the front top bulkhead plus could be bonded behind the dashboard . In the boot across the rear panel it will be bonded down to the rear flat section of the tub . Underneath each rear wheelarch it will be bonded along the top edges of the tub . In the sill of each door will be either bolted , pop rivetted , bonded or two of those choices . Then behind the dash area the tub will have been bonded with sheet f/glass to join body to tub . Between the wheels front and rear , underneath the curved sills , the body sits on an alluminium 50mm ledge pop rivetted to the chassis tubes . It's then either bolted or pop rivetted every 6 inches along those edges . That's about it , time consuming but no big deal .

Good luck with it :D
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.