Flip front measurements

Everything regarding bodywork and materials like fiber glass etc...
lambostylus
Stylus owner
Are you a Stylus owner?: yes

Flip front measurements

Post by lambostylus »

As I snail my way to getting the baby painted, I'm now caught by the idea of moving to a flip-front before spending oodles of wonga on a decent paint job.

The fact I can find very few reliable guys around either Swindon or Reading to do the paint is a matter for another post.

Anyway, I'd like to canvas those who have a flip-front to check the dimensions of where to cut without affecting any rigidity across the bonnet. For info, I do not have standard doors and hence may lack the stiffness of standard RT/classic across the door pillar area.

If anyone would care to throw a tape-measure across their stylus and give me a ball-park figure of distance from edge to windscreen and vertical from edge to cill, it would be much appreciated. If this confuses anyone I'll try to get a drawing on here (stone-age tech unfortunately!)

Cheers aye
If we were meant to walk we would not have invented the car. ;o))
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Re: Flip front measurements

Post by stylussprinter »

lambostylus wrote:As I snail my way to getting the baby painted, I'm now caught by the idea of moving to a flip-front before spending oodles of wonga on a decent paint job.

The fact I can find very few reliable guys around either Swindon or Reading to do the paint is a matter for another post.

Anyway, I'd like to canvas those who have a flip-front to check the dimensions of where to cut without affecting any rigidity across the bonnet. For info, I do not have standard doors and hence may lack the stiffness of standard RT/classic across the door pillar area.

If anyone would care to throw a tape-measure across their stylus and give me a ball-park figure of distance from edge to windscreen and vertical from edge to cill, it would be much appreciated. If this confuses anyone I'll try to get a drawing on here (stone-age tech unfortunately!)

Cheers aye
Pity you can't nip up to mine to see precisely where it's cut but I'll do some measuring for you then post again. Stylus bodies aren't symetrical as the ' buck ' was hand done by eye , hence my measurements may seem odd to you but are definitely correct . You're very welcome to come and see mine if it suits ok.

The best paint guy for Stylus's is JOE MIDDLETON of MIDDLETON MOTORS near WOKING/GUILDFORD area , haven't got his address to hand but google him.
middleton.mtrs@btconnect.com is the last email I had for him --- he's experienced with our cars from doing at least 10 of them from memory plus doesn't beak the bank.
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Re: Flip front measurements

Post by stylussprinter »

OK , I've had a measure of any parameter that seemed useful , possibly not the vertical door hinge shutline.
1)first remove the bonnet or prop it open which ever possible.
2)measure from behind the 2 bolt heads that bolt body to bulkhead inner body , situated in the gutter ----- drivers side towards front of car along the gutter ---- 7 inches and mark. Ditto passenger side ----- 6 inches and mark. That's your cutting line across the top then vertically down.
3)lay a straight edge at least 6 feet long across and behind those marks ----- now measure down from underneath it vertically ----- 12.5 inches both sides . Those are your cutting lines level and towards each wheel arch . Drivers side will be 15.75 inches long ----- passenger side will be 16.5 inches long.
Bodies vary a tiny amount but as a guide those 2 level cuts will be 65mm's higher than the door sill bottom edge.
4)you've modified your door openings so this may not help BUT drivers side vertical shutline to vertical flip cutline should be ------ 13.5 inches . Passenger side ----- 13 inches.
5)I didn't make the vertical to meet the level cut at a 90 degree point ---- I curved those areas about 30mm's back to form a nicer looking and stronger corner.

Any problems just phone or email ok :)
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.