body parts

Everything regarding bodywork and materials like fiber glass etc...
bluestu
Are you a Stylus owner?: no

Re: body parts

Post by bluestu »

all sorted :)

let's just hope they have got the forecast wrong for a change :lol:
yes i know it's not a stylus......
stylussprinter
Stylus owner
Are you a Stylus owner?: yes

Post by stylussprinter »

bluestu wrote:all sorted :)

let's just hope they have got the forecast wrong for a change :lol:
H'mmm exactly my sentiments :?
I just love the Stylus but she keeps swallowing £££ !
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Post by Pete&Matt »

Rob

Any news on the hood rails yet?
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

Pete&Matt wrote:Rob

Any news on the hood rails yet?
Yes --- I've got hold of one but done nothing about copying it yet :roll: If Idon't get that done before you really need one then you could borrow it to possibly make your own :?: I have an idea for doing them but too busy with my patio area at the moment plus have equipment to service/do up and get sold . IFOR WILLIAMS 3.5T trailer with long alloy ramps -- BOBCAT SKIDSTEER etc etc.
Alfa Red 159 2.4 jtdm ti 260bhp 365lbft / BilsteinB12 + Adjustable Powerflex camber/castor bushes. Red STYLUS 2lt zetec 231bhp 185lbft Dunnell . RED 1972 Alfa 2lt GTAm replica 170bhp.
Pete&Matt
Stylus owner

Post by Pete&Matt »

no problem Rob, wont be for a while so no rush
lambostylus
Stylus owner

Post by lambostylus »

Now also interested in hood rails / hood / hard top cover, although probably in even less of a rush than anyone else as i'm off to Oz until about Jul next year 8) 8)
if anyone has any patterns that are electronic or can be sent out, I'll have a go at copying / making some up while I'm there.
If we were meant to walk we would not have invented the car. ;o))
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

I've got one rail only but no electronic pattern or drawing , KIT businesses are rarely that sophysticated , it's all done by eye (Jeremy Phillips eye in this case / original Stylus designer in 1994 ish :roll: )

ROSSCO 's in Australia building a Stylus --- on this website forum list . You may just be close to where he's based :wink: never know your luck :?:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Well Jack Frost seems to be a little less busy at the moment so hoping to get out into the garage again very soon!!!
I've cut the front of my classic, had no problems with the hinge mechanism but do need to sort out the 'landing plate' at the rear of the bonnet/front of the tub.
Not planning on re-inventing the wheel, so was going to copy Rob's:-
progress%20511.jpg
Can these curved angle insert thingies be bought? or will I have to make them?
If I have to make them, I was planning on laying some clingfilm on the outside face of the tub, laying up some f/glass and making a buck from this. Then use the buck to mould the insert thingies..??
Has anybody got any better ideas? Have seen sombody use a sort of mastic/vinyl to make a soft mould, any info on this could be helpfull.
Thanks Pete
stylussprinter
Stylus owner

Post by stylussprinter »

I could point you towards Tim SSC who is quite capable of moulding them but he really is running a totally different business now so unless a full body is ordered , I doubt you'll get a reply --- it's not worth his while :(
It's not difficult to bond a strip of alloy with sikalex around the inside. If you use alloy angle/very thin - say 2mm then snip through it every 25mm on one side , it can be clamped in place till set over 48 hrs. The snipped part can then be tidied up with either pop rivets or sikaflex . Once that's done a thin layer of F/Glass can be laid over the whole right angled bearer , filed off etc .
alecmartin19
Stylus owner

Post by alecmartin19 »

i made my own ones of these. i got a 2" thick piece of wood and held it against the end of the curved part of the car, drew the curved profile onto the wood using the car as the template, then cut out the shape using a band saw. you could probably use a jigsaw though. i then got the female curved part (the concave one) of the wood i'd just cut and screwed a piece of wood onto the side of it. this gave me my shape for a female mould. i then waxed the wooden mould, layed the glass on the inside of it and when it had gone off, i just pulled it out of the mould and sanded it. then glassed it to the car. easy.

might not have explained it too well there but in my head sounded ok. it was very easy though.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think I got this sorted. I laid up some fibreglass over cling film on the outside of the tub then glassed a suport onto this with a handle attached. When it all set I took it of trimmed it up and lay it flat onto a clingfilm covered board, and used it as the mould. The finished part is good but the finish is not great, but as most of it will be bonded inside the tub that rough finish will help. The outside part that will be seen will have sticky backed foam for the flip front to land on so again won't be seen. I took loads of photo's during this but I can't seem to upload. I've had a look thru old threads but still haven't figured it out, will try again later..
Pete..
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Right, remembered how to add photos.
So this is what I was talking about!!
fibre glass laid up on outside
fibre glass laid up on outside
wood added for strength and as a handle
wood added for strength and as a handle
removed from body and set out as mold
removed from body and set out as mold
finished part
finished part
trial fitted into the body tub
trial fitted into the body tub
PuppiesBalls

Post by PuppiesBalls »

Is it possible to get a new LW front end, I think It'll be easier to start with a new one than try to bring this bastardised front end back to perfect! :shock: